Apple and Rosehip Cheese
Recipe type: Cheese
Serves: Approx 1.5kg (3lb)
- 910g (2lb) cooking apples
- 300ml (1/2 pint) orange juice
- 50g (2oz) rose-hips
- 150ml (1/4 pint) water
- Roughly chop the whole apples, including the skins and cores.
- Chop up the rose-hips and place them in a muslin bag.
- Place the apples, orange juice and water in a preserving pan.
- Place the muslin bag of rose-hips in the preserving pan, ensuring that the hips cannot escape.
- Cook over a low heat until the apples are soft and tender.
- Remove the muslin bag of rose-hips and discard them.
- Push the apples through a sieve, then weigh the puree.
- Return the puree to the preserving pan.
- For every 450g (1lb) of apple puree add 450g (1lb) of sugar.
- Simmer for 60 minutes, or until the mix becomes very thick, stirring frequently to prevent burning.
- Transfer into hot and sterile jars, and seal immediately.