Recipe type: Curd
- 700g (1½lb) green gooseberries
- 300ml (½ pint) Water
- 110g (4oz) Butter, cut in small pieces
- 340g (12oz) Sugar
- 3 large eggs, lightly beaten
- Top and tail gooseberries.
- Place the gooseberries into a heavy bottomed saucepan with enough water to just cover, bring to the boil and simmer until tender.
- Use a blender or liquidizer to produce a puree.
- Push gooseberries through sieve, making sure to scrape puree from underside of sieve.
- Place the puree into a double boiler (a bowl placed over a saucepan of boiling water).
- Add the sugar and butter, then cook over a low heat until the sugar is fully dissolved.
- Remove from the heat and blend with the beaten eggs.
- Return to the low heat, whisking continuously, and cook until the curd will coat the back of a spoon.
- Pour into prepared jars and seal as for jam.