- 4 sweet oranges
- 2 sharp oranges - Seville oranges are best
- 6 eggs
- 175g (6oz) butter
- 500g (18oz) castor sugar
- Quarter fill a large saucepan with boiling water.
- Place on the stove and keep the water boiling gently.
- Place a large and heavy jar in the pan of boiling water. A traditional stone jam jar is ideal.
- Place the butter in the jar and allow it to melt.
- Beat the eggs together in a basin and put on one side.
- Grate the rind of the oranges onto a plate and put on one side.
- Juice the oranges and put on one side.
- When the butter is fully melted, add the sugar to the jar, then the orange rind and juice.
- Add the eggs and stir gently but continuously until the mixture thickens. This will take about 20 to 30 minutes.
- When stiff, pour the curd into jars and seal them straight away.