Apple and Orange Jam
Recipe type: Jam
- 1.5kg (3lb 5oz) crab apples
- 10ml (2 tsp) of citric acid
- 10ml (2 tsp) of powdered cinnamon
- Peel of two oranges
- 500ml (18 fl oz)) of water
- Cut the crab apples into small chunks. Do not peel or core the apples before cutting them.
- Put the cut apples, the cinnamon, the citric acid and the water into a preserving pan. Note how much of the pan is covered by the mixture.
- Cook on a low heat until the fruit is mushy and form a pulp.
- Continue to cook gently until the mixture has been reduced by about one third.
- Remove from the heat and rub the mixture through a fine sieve to remove the hard skins, fibrous bits and pips.
- Clean the preserving pan.
- Weigh the sieved pulp and return to the pan.
- For every 0.5kg (1lb 2oz) of pulp, add 350g (12oz) of sugar to the pan.
- Add the finely grated peel of two oranges.
- Cook on a low heat, stirring well, until all the sugar has dissolved.
- Bring to the boil and keep it there until setting point is reached.
- Transfer to heated and sterile jars, and seal well.