Apricot and Almond Jam
- 1.4kg (3 lbs) dried apricots
- 5.1L (9 pints) water
- 4kg (9 lbs) sugar
- 60g (2 oz) almonds
- Cut the apricots into pieces and let them stand in the water for 24 hours.
- Blanch the almonds and make sure any skin has been removed.
- With the apricots still standing in the water, bring to the boil and cook until the fruit is tender. This will be about half an hour.
- Add all the sugar and let it dissolve - stirring gently will help.
- Boil until the jam will nearly set, then add the almonds.
- Keep boiling the jam until a sample will set.
- As scum rises to the surface, keep skimming it off with a spoon so you are left with just clear jam.
- Pour into prepared jars.