Apricot Jam (easy)
Recipe type: Jam
- 1.6 kg (3.5lb) apricots
- 300 ml (1/2 pint) water
- 1.4 kg (3lb)sugar
- Wash, halve, and stone the fruit.
- Place the fruit and water in a preserving pan.
- Put on the stove and bring to a simmer
- Whilst the mix heats up, crack 5 or 6 of the stones, remove and halve the kernels and blanch them by dipping in boiling water for 30 seconds.
- Add the halved kernels to the preserving pan.
- Allow to simmer until the fruit is tender and the liquid is reduced by one-third.
- Add the sugar and stir over low heat until it is all dissolved and the jam takes on a glossy look.
- Bring to the boil and boil rapidly until setting point is reached.
- Remove from the heat, skim off any scum, pour into pre-heated pots, cover and seal whilst still hot.