Blackberry and Crab Apple Chunky Jam
Recipe type: Jam
- Crab Apples (peeled, cored and chopped roughly)
- Blackberries (twice the weight of the apple pieces)
- Sugar (A little less than the combined weight of the two fruits
- For example...
- 1lb apple chunks
- 2lb blackberries
- 2.5lb sugar
- Peel and core the apples, removing any bad parts.
- Cut the apples into rough slices about 1 to 2 cm (1/2 inch) across
- Float the blackberries in cold water to remove dust and debris, then remove any remaining stalks and unpleasant looking berries.
- Place the apple slices and blackberries into a preserving pan.
- Add the sugar and slowly heat the pan, stirring all the time.
- When the sugar is dissolved and the pan contains a liquid rather than dry fruit chunks, keep stirring but do not allow to boil until the apple pieces have taken on the colour of the juice and feel rubbery when you try to bend them.
- Bring to the boil ,remove any scum that appears on the surface, and test for setting straight away.
- When a sample of jam sets, pour the jam into prepared jars.
Crab apples are very high in pectin so this jam can often set as soon as it reaches boiling point.