Blackberry and Redcurrant Jelly
Recipe type: Jelly
- 1.5kg (3lb 5oz) redcurrants
- 500g (1lb 2oz) blackberries
- 1.5 l (2½ pints) of water
- Clean the berries, discarding any rotten fruit
- Put the fruit and the water in a preserving pan and cook slowly for about an hour.
- Transfer the pan contents to a fine muslin bag and allow to drip over a container.
- Leave for about an hour or until juice no longer drips from the bag. DO NOT squeeze the bag - this will force pulp through and produce a cloudy liquid.
- Measure the juice collected and place it in a clean preserving pan.
- Bring the juice to the boil.
- Add 450g (1lb) of sugar for every 575ml (1 pint) of juice.
- Keep on a medium heat and stir well until all the sugar has dissolved.
- Bring to a brisk boil and keep it there for about 10 minutes or until setting point is reached.
- Transfer to warmed and sterile jars, and seal well.
For a deeper colour to the jelly, add the sugar before boiling the juice- the longer cooking time deepens the colour.