Recipe type: Jam
- 2.75kg (6 lb) of black currants
- 2.4l)(4 pints) of water
- 3.4kg (7½ lb) of sugar
- Remove stalks, odd leaves and the larger of the snuffs from the berries*.
- Place the water and the currants into a preserving pan and slowly boil until the fruit is soft and tender.
- Add the sugar and still until it is all dissolved.
- Boil until the jam will set, then remove any scum from the surface.
- Pour into hot sterilized jars, and seal.
* Snuffs are the fibrous growths opposite the stalk and are the remains of the flowers.