Cape Gooseberry Jam
Recipe type: Jam
- 700g (1lb 9oz) of cape gooseberries
- 500 g (1lb 2oz) sugar
- 1 large apple
- Juice of half a lemon
- Wash the fruit and place in a large saucepan with a little water and the lemon juice. Bring to a gentle boil.
- When the fruit is simmering add the sugar and the apple, cut and cored (but not peeled).
- Cook for 30 minutes, stirring frequently, then blend with a hand blender.
- Cook for an additional 10 minutes, or until the jam reaches setting point.
- Pour into hot sterilized jars and seal well.
Cape gooseberries are high in pectin, so this is a jam that rarely fails to set.