Recipe type: Jam
- 230g (8oz) coarsely shredded carrots
- 200g (7oz) brown sugar
- 3 lemons
- 2.5ml (1/2 tsp) cinnamon
- 2.5ml (1/2 tsp) cloves
- Top, tail and wash the carrots - do not skin them.
- Shred the carrots using a coarse grater, or chop into thin chunks.
- Slice the lemons, removing any pips.
- Put all the ingredients into a jam pan and simmer, stirring constantly at first to stop the ingredients burning.
- After about 20 / 30 minutes the mix will thicken and all the carrot pieces will be soft and tender.
- Pour into prepared jars, seal the tops and allow to cool.
The jam has a texture similar to fine cut marmalade, but if larger chunks or a smooth jam are preferred, simply cut the carrots into rougher chunks at stage (2), or put the mix through a blender between stages (5) and (6).