Recipe type: Jam
- 2.75kg (6 lb) cherries
- 450g (1 lb) red currants
- a little water
- sugar to match the weight of the *stoned* cherries
- Wash and stone the cherries.
- Weigh the stoned cherries, then measure out an equal quantity of sugar.
- Put the red currants in a pan with a little water and boil them for half an hour.
- Remove the currants from the heat and strain the liquid through a jelly bag (a thick tea towel will do as a substitute).
- Add the juice and the cherries to a preserving pan.
- Boil until the cherries are soft and tender.
- Add the sugar and, whilst stirring, slowly bring to the boil.
- Make sure all the sugar dissolves before you reach boiling point.
- Keep on a rolling boil until the juice becomes thick and jam like.
- Skim if necessary, then pour into jars as soon as it reaches setting point.