Chunky Apple and Blackberry Jam
Recipe type: Jam
Serves: 7 large jars
- 1.8kg (4lb) sliced apples
- 700g (1½lb) blackberries
- 2.3kg (5lb) sugar
- Peel, core and slice the apples.
- Float the blackberries in a bowl of water to remove debris.
- Add the apples and berries to a preserving pan with a little water to prevent the fruit from burning.
- Place over a low heat and cook gently for about 20 minutes to soften the fruit but not to reduce it to a pulp.
- Add the sugar.
- Increase the heat and stir well until all the sugar is dissolved.
- Bring to a rolling boil and continue to boil until setting point is reached.
- Pour into heated and sterile jars.
- Seal whilst still hot.
Use either fresh or frozen blackberries - they work equally well. This jam can be a little sweet, but it's high in pectin so you can reduce the sugar slightly, or add the juice of a lemon to give a more tangy taste.