Elderflower and Gooseberry Jam
Recipe type: Jam
- 2.7kg (6lb) gooseberries
- 2.7kg (6lb) sugar
- 1.1lt (2 pints) water
- 12-15 elderflower heads
- 15g (½oz) butter
- Top and tail the gooseberries.
- Trim off the elderflower flower heads and discard the stalks.
- Tie the flowers in a piece of muslin or other cloth bag.
- Place all of the fruit into a jam pan and cover with water.
- Bring to the boil over a medium heat.
- Add the elderflower bag to the jam mix.
- Allow to simmer, stirring occasionally for 30-35 minutes or until the fruit is tender.
- Remove from the heat and take out the elderflower bag.
- Squeeze the liquid out of the bag and discard the bag content.
- Pulp or mash the fruit in the pan.
- Add the sugar, stirring until fully dissolved.
- Add the butter.
- Bring back to a rolling boil, stirring frequently, for about 10 minutes.
- When the jam reaches setting point, skim off any scum, and pour into hot sterilized jars.
- Seal well.