Fig and Apple Jam
Recipe type: Jam
- 1.5kg (3lb 5oz) peeled and cored cooking apples
- 500g (1lb 2oz) dried figs
- 750ml (1¼ pints) water
- 1kg 2lb 3oz) sugar
- 2 small lemons
- 7ml (1 rounded teaspoon) mixed spice
- Remove all stalks from the figs, then chop them into small chunks.
- Peel and core the apples, weigh out 1.5kg (3lb 5oz), and place in a preserving pan.
- Add the chopped figs, the water, the juice of both lemons and the spice.
- Bring to a simmering boil until all the fruit is slushy and thick, and the water content has been reduced by about one third.
- Reduce the heat so the jam is no longer boiling, then add the sugar whilst stirring constantly.
- Make sure all the sugar is dissolved then bring back to a good boil.
- Boil until setting point is reached.
- Transfer to warmed and sterile jars.
- Seal well