Ginger and Apple Jam
Recipe type: Jam
- 2kg (4lb 7oz) peeled and cored cooking apples
- 700ml (1¼ pits) water
- 1.5kg (3lb 5oz) sugar
- 300g (10½ oz) finely chopped preserved ginger
- 5ml (1tsp) of powdered ginger
- 3 average size lemons
- Peel and core the apples until you have 2kg of apple flesh.
- Cut the apple into slices and place in a preserving pan.
- Put the cores and peel into a muslin bag and place that in the preserving pan.
- Add the water and simmer gently until the apples and soft and pulpy.
- Remove and discard the bag of peel and cores.
- Use an electric blender or beater to reduce the cooked apple to a puree.
- Add the sugar, ginger and the juice from the lemons to the pan and mix well with the apples.
- Heat and stir well until all the sugar is dissolved.
- Bring to the boil and allow to continue boiling until it reaches setting point.
- Transfer to warmed and sterile jars, then seal well.