- 2.7kg (6 lb) gooseberries
- 850ml (1½ pints) of water
- 3.2kg (7 lb) of sugar
- Wash and clean the berries, removing stalks and snuffs, but leaving the hairs on the fruits.
- Place the clean berries in a preserving pan with the water and bring to the boil.
- Simmer until the fruit is tender and falling apart. The quantity of water should be much reduced by now.
- Add the sugar and stir until it is all dissolved.
- Boil firmly until the jam will set when tested.
- Skim off any scum and debris whilst the jam is boiling.
- Pour into prepared jars and seal.