Lemon and Rhubarb Jam
Recipe type: Jam
- 1.5kg (3lb 5oz) chopped rhubarb
- 3 large lemons
- 1.5kg (3lb 5oz) sugar
- Chop the rhubarb into 2 to 4 cm (1" to 1½") long chunks and place in a wide bowl.
- Add the juice of the three lemons.
- Cover the rhubarb with sugar and leave it overnight. The sugar will soak up the juice and make the rhubarb slightly more firm.
- Transfer to a preserving pan.
- Finely grate the lemon peels.
- Add the lemon peel to the pan, and slowly increase the heat whilst stirring well.
- Make sure that all the sugar has dissolved before the jam reaches boiling point.
- Once the sugar has dissolved, bring to a good boil and keep boiling until it reaches setting point. A fast boil is ideal and will give better results than a slow boil.
- When the jam reaches setting point, remove from the heat and transfer into warmed and sterile jars.