Mammy Apple Jam
Recipe type: Jam
- 3 large mammy apples (ripe)
- lime juice
- Score the mammy apple skins in sections and tear off without cutting it.
- Scrape off the thin brown skin which covers the fruit. Do this well as any remaining on the fruit can give the jam a very bitter taste.
- Cut the fruit into quarters, wash well in cold water, then cut into thick pieces.
- Boil in about 1.2l (2 pints) of water until tender.
- Pour the water and fruit into a sieve, then press the fruit through a sieve into a measuring bowl to join the water again.
- To every 240ml (1/2 pint) of liquid and pulp mixed together add 200g (7oz) of sugar.
- Add a few drops of lime juice to sharpen the flavour.
- Boil until the jam reaches setting point. (about 20 minutes).
- Pour into small hot sterilized jars.
- The jam has a short shelf life once opened, so small jars are the best solution.