Recipe type: Jam
- 2.7kg (6lb) sugar
- 2.7kg (6lb) marrow
- 3 lemons or limes
- 40ml (1½ oz) root ginger
- Peel the marrows and remove the soft pippy inner parts. The ideal marrows should be firm and slightly tough.
- Cut the marrows into small pieces - about 2cm square (1 inch square).
- In a preserving pan, add the lemon juice, sugar and the grated rind of one lemon to the marrow chunks.
- Leave to stand for 24 hours.
- Bruise the ginger wel l- beating it with a rolling pin is effective.
- Put the bruised ginger into a muslin bag (or jelly bag) and drop it into the marrow pan.
- Cook over a moderate to high heat until the marrow chunks are all transparent and the juice becomes sticky and thick.
- Remove the scum from the surface, and take out the ginger in its bag.
- Allow the jam to cool before pouring it into prepared jars.