Recipe type: Jam
- 1.8kg (4lb) pears
- 1.7kg (3.75lb) sugar
- Juice from 4 lemons
- 600ml (1 pint) water
- Extract the juice from the lemons and put into the preserving pan.
- Chop the lemons roughly and put them in a muslin bag. Seal the bag and place it in the preserving pan.
- Roughly cut the pears and add them to the preserving pan.
- Cook on a low heat until the fruit is soft and mushy.
- Remove the muslin bag, and then strain the fruit through a sieve to remove the pear cores and skin.
- Return the sieved fruit to the pan and slowly add the sugar, stirring all the time. Continue stirring until all the sugar is dissolved.
- Bring to the boil and then boil hard until setting point is reached.
- Transfer to clean sterile jars and seal immediately.