Quick Plum Jam
Recipe type: Jam
- 1kg (2lb 3oz) plums
- Wash the plums, and then place them in a preserving pan or large saucepan.
- Crush two or three plums to create a small volume of juice in the bottom of the pan.
- Apply a gentle heat.
- Continue cooking until the plums are soft and broken down.
- Remove from the pan and force the cooked plums through a coarse sieve. Work the fruit thoroughly with the back of a wooden spoon until only the stones and skins remain in the sieve.
- Weigh the juice; return it to the pan on a medium heat.
- Add an equivalent weight of normal sugar and still well until all the sugar is dissolved.
- Bring to the boil and boil hard for ten minutes.
- Test the jam for setting, and when it is ready, pour into hot clean jars.