Recipe type: Jam
- 1.4kg (3lb) of chopped up rhubarb
- 1.4kg (3lb) sugar
- 2 small lemons
- 40g (1½ oz) root ginger
- Chop the rhubarb into small chunks and place them in a preserving pan with the sugar.
- Heat the pan slowly whilst stirring all the time.
- Keep stirring until all the sugar is dissolved.
- Thinly grate the lemon rinds, then add them and the lemon juice to the pan.
- Bruise the ginger (a light thumping with a rolling pin works well), put it in a muslin bag, (or a tied up tea towel if nothing else is available) and add it to the pan.
- Bring to the boil and keep boiling until the jam sets when tested.
- Skim the scum off the surface if necessary.
- Remove the ginger in its bag, then pour the jam into prepared jars.