Recipe type: Jelly
- 900g (2lb) rowan berries
- 900g (2lb) crab apples
- 1.8l (3 pints) water
- Remove stalks from the berries, wash if necessary, and dry well afterwards.
- Wash the whole crab apples, removing any bruised parts.
- Place the fruit and just enough water to cover it into a jam pan.
- Bring to the boil and allow to simmer, covered for 20 - 25 minutes, until tender.
- Strain through a jelly bag or muslin cloth, by hanging it up and allowing it to drip.
- Leave for about allow 4 hours. Do not squeeze the bag because the jelly will become cloudy.
- Measure the volume of juice, and add 450g (1lb) of sugar for each 600ml (1 pint) of liquid.
- Warm the sugar, either in the oven for 10 minutes or a few minutes in a microwave.
- Place the juice back into the jam pan over a medium heat and add the sugar, stirring until fully dissolved.
- Bring to a rolling boil and cook for about 15 minutes until the jelly reaches setting point.
- Skim the surface scum if necessary.
- Remove from the boil and pour into hot sterilized jars.
- Seal well
The Rowan tree is also known as the Mountain Ash.