Recipe type: Jam
- 1kg (2lb) sloes
- 1kg (2lb) white sugar
- Place the sloes in a preserving pan, and add just sufficient water to cover them.
- Heat gently for 2 hours, pressing the fruits with the back of a spoon or a potato masher in the later stages to break them open.
- Place a colander over a large bowl and pour the contents of the preserving pan through it, rubbing the fruits around to allow the juice and flesh to pass through, whilst retaining the stones.
- Discard the stones.
- Weigh the liquid then return it to the preserving pan
- Add the same weight of sugar to the pan (so for 1kg of juice add 1kg of sugar etc)
- Heat gently whilst stirring well to dissolve all the sugar.
- Bring to the boil, and boil hard until setting point is reached.
- Pour into pre-heated and sterilized jars.
- Seal well
If the sloes are frozen before use they become less tart, and also break down more easily when heated.