Strawberry Jam (with whole fruits)
Recipe type: Jam
- 2.25kg (5lb) of hulled strawberries
- 2.25kg (5lb) of sugar
- 2 small lemons
- Clean the strawberries and remove all the green leaves and stalks. Take care not to bruise the fruits.
- Place the fruits in a large pan and cover them with the sugar.
- Leave overnight. (The sugar will draw the moisture out of the strawberries leaving them firm and able to withstand cooking.)
- Slowly bring the sugar and berries to the boil on top of the stove.
- Skim off any scum that rises to the surface and boil well.
- Test for setting by dropping the mix onto a cold plate. If it sets, the jam is ready. If the jam will not set after a good boiling, add the juice of two lemons and test it again.
- Pour into hot, sterilized jars and seal quickly whilst still hot.