Apple and Mint Jelly
Recipe type: Jelly
- 2.75kg (6lb) cooking apples
- 3 lemons
- 15-20 sprigs of Mint
- Wash the apples, remove bruised and bad sections, and roughly chop them.
- Remove tough stalks, then chop the mint into small pieces.
- Put the cut apples into a preserving pan or large saucepan, and add just enough water to cover them.
- Add the juice from the lemons, and half the mint, then bring to the boil.
- Boil until the apples are soft, but not a pulp.
- Pour the apple mix into a jelly bag or muslin bag, and leave overnight to drip in to a bowl. DO NOT squeeze as this will make the juice cloudy.
- Throw away the dried pulp (compost it if possible) and measure the liquid you have collected.
- To every pint of liquid, add 1 lb of sugar.
- Place the liquid and sugar into a preserving pan and bring to the boil, stirring constantly to ensure that the sugar dissolves.
- Boil rapidly until a sample sets.
- Add the remaining mint and stir well.
- Allow to cool slightly, then pour into prepared jars