Bilberry and Apple Jelly
Recipe type: Jelly
- 1kg (2lb 3oz) apples
- 1kg (2lb 3oz) bilberries
- 1l (1¾ pints) of water
- Chop the whole apples roughly- do not bother to peel or core them.
- Place the fruit and water in a preserving pan and cook slowly for about an hour.
- Transfer the pan contents to a fine muslin bag and allow to drip over a container.
- Leave for about an hour or until juice no longer drips from the bag. DO NOT squeeze the bag - this will force pulp through and produce a cloudy liquid.
- Measure the juice collected and place it in a clean preserving pan.
- Bring the juice to the boil.
- Add 400g (14oz) of sugar for every 600ml (1 pint) of juice.
- Keep on a medium heat and stir well until all the sugar has dissolved.
- Bring to a brisk boil and keep it there for about 10 minutes or until setting point is reached.
- Transfer to warmed and sterile jars, and seal well.
For a deeper colour to the jelly, add the sugar before boiling the juice - the longer cooking time deepens the colour.