Recipe type: Jelly
- 2.75kg (6 lb) of blackberries
- 600ml (1 pint) of water
- Pick the berries on a dry day.
- Put the berries and water into a preserving pan and boil gently for about 20 minutes, until they are very soft and tender.
- Mash the berries well, using a potato masher or similar tool.
- Pour the mash into a jelly bag and hang it over a large bowl.
- Leave to drip for 12 hours (over night is ideal)
- Measure the collected juice and then add 450g (1lb) of sugar to 600ml (1 pint) of juice, putting the lot into a clean preserving pan.
- Stir as you heat the pan to ensure that all the sugar dissolves.
- Boil firmly until the jelly sets when tested.
- Pour into prepared jars whilst still hot.