Recipe type: Jelly
- 2.5 kg (5lb 8oz) damsons
- 1 large apple
- Juice of one lemon
- 700g (1½lb) sugar
- Roughly chop the apple, removing the peel and core.
- Wash the damsons to remove dirt. Discard any bruised fruit.
- Place the fruit in a preserving pan, add sufficient water to cover the base to a depth of about 1cm (1/2 inch).
- Bring to a simmer and leave to cook for 10 minutes
- Transfer the pan contents to a fine muslin bag and allow to drip over a container.
- Leave until juice stops dripping- this may take up to 12 hours so leaving it overnight is common practice.
- Pour the collected juice into a clean preserving pan.
- Add the sugar and lemon juice.
- Bring the juice to the boil and,without stirring, leave to boil for 10 minutes.
- Remove any scum from the surface whilst boiling.
- When setting point is reached, transfer to warmed and sterile jars, then seal well.
Keep in a dark place to retain the deep colour.