Recipe type: Jelly
- 900g (2lb) apples or gooseberries
- 20 stems of fresh young mint
- 60ml (4 tablespoons) of finely chopped mint
- Sugar (as required)
- For gooseberries, top and tail the berries; for apples core and cut them into small chunks.
- Simmer the fruit in a pan, with just enough water to prevent it burning. Cook until the fruit is soft and pulpy.
- Place the fruit in a jelly bag and leave to drip.
- Measure the collected juice, and for every 600ml (1 pint) of juice allow 450g (1lb) of sugar. Put the juice and sugar back into the pan.
- Tie the mint stems in a bunch and add them to the pan.
- Bring to the boil whilst stirring well.
- Boil until setting point is reached.
- Remove the bunch of mint and add in the finely chopped mint. Stir well to distribute the mint, then pour into prepared jars.
- Seal whilst still very hot.