Sloe and Apple Jelly II
Recipe type: Jelly
- Green Apples
- Wash the sloes and apples to remove dirt and debris. Do not peel or core the apples.
- Place equal quantities of ripe sloes and green apples (skins and cores included) in a preserving pan, add just enough water to reach the top of the fruit, and simmer until the fruit is soft and tender.
- Strain the mixture through a jelly bag or muslin bag.
- Return the juice to an empty preserving pan and, for every 600ml (1 pint) of juice, add 450g (1lb) of sugar.
- Bring to the boil and continue to boil until it reaches setting point.
- Pour into prepared warm jars and seal well.
Can be eaten as a normal jam, but also goes very well with meat as an alternative to cranberry sauce.