Recipe type: Marmalade
- 680g (1½lb) grated carrots
- 850g (1lb 14oz) sugar
- 3 large oranges
- 2 lemons
- 2.5ml (1/2 tsp) cinnamon
- 2.5ml (1/2 tsp) cloves (ground up or whole according to preference)
- Peel the citrus fruits, putting the rind to one side.
- Remove all the white pith from the fruits, then mash or liquidize the oranges and lemons.
- Clean all the white pith from the rinds you saved at stage (1), then cut the cleaned rind into narrow strips.
- Add the sliced rind to the fruit mix, cover with a cloth and allow to stand overnight.
- Add the grated carrot and spices to the mix, transfer to a jam pan or large saucepan and bring to a simmer.
- Cook for about 2 hours.
- Pour into prepared jars, seal whilst still piping hot and leave for a few days.
Can be consumed immediately but the flavour improves with time.