Recipe type: Marmalade
- 10 large lemons
- 800g (1lb 12oz) of sugar
- 1.2l (2 pints) of water
- With a sharp knife or vegetable peeler, remove the yellow rind from the lemons, cutting into 3cm (1 inch) long strips about 3mm (1/8 inch) wide.
- Remove the remaining white pith from the lemons.
- Cut the lemons into 5mm (1/4 inch) slices
- In a large pan (NOT aluminium) add the sliced fruit, rind and water. Leave to stand in a cool place for 4 hours.
- Put the pan on the stove and bring to the boil over a high heat, stirring occasionally.
- Reduce the heat, cover the pan and leave it to simmer for about an hour, until the fruit is soft and tender.
- Add the sugar, stirring constantly until it is all dissolved.
- Whilst adding the sugar bring the mix back to the boil. It should be boiling well, but not trying to fling itself out of the pan.
- Reduce to a gentle boil after 5 minutes and allow to cook, uncovered, until it reaches 220 °F . This will take about 40 minutes.
- Pour into hot sterilised jars and seal well.