- 900g (2 lb) Seville oranges
- 3.6l (6 pints) of cold water
- Slice the oranges as thinly as possible.
- Remove only the pips.
- Place the sliced oranges and the water in a bowl and leave to stand for 24 hours.
- Transfer to a preserving pan and bring to the boil. Keep boiling until the peel is tender.
- Take off the heat and allow to stand for another 24 hours.
- Weigh the fruit mix, and for every 450g (1lb)of fruit, add 700g (1½lb) of sugar.
- Bring to the boil and keep boiling until the marmalade looks clear.
- Skim off any scum if necessary.
- Leave the marmalade to cool a little before pouring into jars.