- 1.1kg (2½ lb) sliced peaches
- 100g (3½oz) sugar
- 30ml (2 tablespoons) lemon juice
- 30ml (2 tablespoons) apricot brandy
- 30ml (2 tablespoons) orange zest
- 1 pinch of salt
- If using fresh peaches, quarter or slice them, removing the stones.
- If using canned peaches in syrup, weigh 1.1kg (2½lb) of slices without syrup, and then add the syrup to the mix.
- Place all the ingredients in a large pan (not aluminium) and bring to the boil over a medium heat.
- Stir frequently to ensure the mix does not burn and that the sugar is all dissolved.
- Once the fruits are giving up their juice allow the mix to simmer, and continue to cook until the fruits are tender and soft.
- After about an hour the fruits should be very soft and the mixture thickened and at setting point.
- Taste - remember it is very hot straight from the pan! - and add a little more sugar if necessary.
- Transfer the marmalade to hot sterilised jars and seal well.