Mould on the jam

Occasionally mould will grow on the jam’s surface. This is caused by one of two factors; the jam jars were not properly sterilised before use , or the fruit was picked whilst wet. Both causes are easily avoided when the jam is made. Remember to sterilise the lids of jars as well as the glass jars themselves. 
 
Once mould is found, remove it with a spoon and discard it. The remaining jam is safe to eat. An added precaution, when bottling the jam, is to place a waxed paper disc on the surface of the jam to act as a seal. This usually is not necessary with a screw top jar, but is essential if you seal jars with cellophane and an elastic band. 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *