Recipe type: Jam
- 4.5kg (10lb) beetroots
- 3.3kg (7 lb) sugar
- 10 large lemons
- 60g (2 oz) powdered ginger
- small piece of root ginger
- 110g (1/4 lb) almonds
- Wash and put the whole beetroots in a bowl in the microwave, in a small amount of water for 10 minutes. Save the water.
- Allow the beetroots to coolt, the peel them and cut them into thin strips.
- Put chopped beetroot in pan, pour sugar over, leave overnight.
- Grate the outer skin of two lemons and add this, plus the juice from all the lemons, to the pan.
- Bring to the boil, and cook for 2 hours on a rolling boil.
- WHILST THIS IS HAPPENING ...
- Blanche the almonds then drain, and then remove the skins.
- Cut the ginger root into small cubes, and 30 minutes before the end, add to the pot.
- minutes before the end, add the blanched almonds.
- minutes before the end, add the powdered ginger.
- When the jam reaches setting point, pour into steralised hot jars and seal well.