Blackberry and Apple Jam II
Recipe type: Jam
- 1 kg (2lb) blackberries
- 350g (12 oz) apples (any type will do)
- granulated sugar
- Core and roughly chop the apples. Cutting into quarters or smaller is fine, and don't remove the skin.
- Put the apple and blackberries in a large preserving pan . Add the apple cores in a muslin bag and add just enough water to cover the fruit and simmer until soft.
- Remove from the heat and push the soft fruit through a sieve to remove skin, bits of core you missed and pips.
- Weigh the sieved pulp and return it to the pan.
- Add 450g (1lb) of sugar for each 450g (1lb) of sieved pulp.
- Heat gently until all the sugar has dissolved, then bring to the boil.
- Boil hard for about 10 minutes or until the jam reaches setting point.
- Pour into hot prepared jars and seal tightly.