Sloe and Bramley Apple Jelly
Recipe type: Jelly
- 700g (1½ lb) sloes
- 700g (1½ lb) Bramley (cooking) apples
- Wash the apples, discard bruised sections and chop into rough chunks. Do not peel or core them.
- Put sloes and apple chunks into a preserving pan, and add enough water to half cover the fruit.
- Bring to the boil gently and simmer until all the fruit is soft.
- Transfer to a jelly bag and leave to drip overnight into a collecting bowl.
- Put the juice back into the cleaned preserving pan, and add 700g (1.5lb) of sugar for every 600ml (1 pint) of juice.
- Gently heat the juice and the sugar stirring from time to time. Make sure that that all the sugar has dissolved before bringing the liquid to the boil or you will have a jam full of gritty crystals.
- Boil well for 10 minutes or until setting point is reached.
- Transfer to warmed and sterilized jars, and seal well.