Spiced Crab Apple Jelly
Recipe type: Jelly
- 2kg 4lb 7oz) apples
- 1l (1¾ pints) water
- 8 cloves
- 2 heaped teaspoons of ground ginger
- 2 heaped teaspoons of ground cinnamon
- Roughly chop the apples, but don't peel or core them.
- Put the fruit, the spice, and the water in a preserving pan and cook slowly for about an hour.
- Transfer the pan contents to a fine muslin bag and allow to drip over a container.
- Leave for about an hour or until juice no longer drips from the bag. DO NOT squeeze the bag - this will force pulp through and produce a cloudy liquid.
- Measure the juice collected and place it in a clean preserving pan.
- Bring the juice to the boil.
- Add 500g (1lb 2oz) of sugar for every 600ml (1 pint) of juice.
- Keep on a medium heat and stir well until all the sugar has dissolved.
- Bring to a brisk boil and keep it there for about 10 minutes or until setting point is reached.
- Transfer to warmed and sterile jars, and seal well.