Recipe type: Marmalade
- (4lb) of quinces
- 5 lemons
- 1.2kg (2lb 8oz) sugar
- 1.4l (2½ pints) water
- Remove the fur from the quince skins. You can do this by wiping them with a damp cloth or washing up pad.
- Cut the quinces into quarters, removing the cores and seeds.
- Add the water to the preserving pan.
- Dice the quinces and place in the pan.
- Put the cores and seeds in a cloth bag, tie the neck, and put the bag in the pan.
- Thinly slice the lemons and add to the pan.
- Bring to the boil over a medium heat and simmer for about an hour. Stir occasionally to prevent burning.
- Remove the cloth bag and discard the contents.
- Warm the sugar (1 minute in a microwave) , then add to the pan, stirring to make sure it is all dissolved.
- Bring to a rolling boil and cook until the marmalade reaches setting point, and is a deep pink colour.
- Pour into hot sterilised jars and seal.