Rowan Jelly III
Recipe type: Jelly
- 900g (2lb) Rowan berries (also known as Mountain Ash berries)
- 900g (2lb) crab apples
- Check the rowan berries, removing any stalks and bad berries.
- Wash and check the crab apples, removing any bad or bruised parts. There is no need to cut or slice the apples apart from to remove bad bits.
- Place all the fruit into a preserving pan, and add just enough water to cover them.
- Bring to the boil and leave on a light boil / simmer for about half an hour, until the fruit is tender.
- Pour the juice and fruit solids into a jelly bag and leave to drip over night.
- Measure the volume of the liquid and, for every 600ml (1 pint) add 450g (1lb) of sugar.
- Pour the juice and sugar into a preserving pan and bring to the boil, stirring all the time to make sure the sugar dissolves.
- Boil rapidly until the jelly sets when tested.
- Skim the surface if necessary, then pour into prepared jars.