Apple and Damson Jam
Recipe type: Jam
- 1.5kg (3lb 5oz) of mixed apples and damsons
- 1.5kg (3lb 5oz) sugar
- 500ml (18fl oz)of water
- Cut a long slit in the side of each damson.
- Peel and core the apples and cut into small chunks.
- Place all the fruits, and the water, in a pan and heat gently.
- Stir and crush the fruits until they are pulpy.
- Damson stones will rise to the surface during the cooking, and should be skimmed off with a spoon or large fork.
- Add the sugar and slowly increase the heat, stirring until all the sugar is dissolved.
- Bring to the boil and keep boiling until setting point is reached.
- Transfer to warm and sterile jars, and seal well.