Apple and Elderberry Jam
Recipe type: Jam
- 1.5kg (3 lb) elderberries
- (2 lb) apples
- (4 lb) sugar
- Clean the elderberries, remove stalks and place berries into a large pan.
- Cook very gently until juice begins to seek out of the berries, then increase the heat and simmer gently for 30 minutes.
- Core and peel the apples, and cut into slices or small chunks.
- Add a little water to a pan, add the apples and cook gently over a medium heat until the apples are soft and mushy.
- Pour the apples into the pan containing the berries, and stir well to mix the fruits.
- Add the sugar, and stir occasionally until all the sugar is dissolved.
- Bring to the boil and keep boiling until the jam will set when tested.
- NB: Setting point can be reached quite quickly with this mix, so watch it closely.
- Pour into prepared jars and seal whilst still hot.