Apple and Ginger Jam
Recipe type: Jam
- 1.8kg (4lb) apples
- 600ml (1 pint) of water
- 1.4kg (3lb) sugar
- 100g (4oz) preserved ginger in syrup
- 5g (1tsp) of ground ginger
- 70ml (5 tbsp) of ginger syrup
- Peel, core and slice the apples.
- Place the apples in a pan, and the peel and core to one side.
- Add the water, ground ginger and ginger syrup to the pan and apples.
- Put the cores and peel in a muslin bag, tie it well, and add it to the pan.
- Put the pan on the stove and simmer gently until the apple is soft and pulpy.
- Remove the bag of peel etc and squeeze it over the pan to extract all the juice.
- Mash the apple mix with a spoon, or for a fine puree, use a kitchen blender.
- Chop up the preserved ginger and add it, with the sugar, to the pan.
- Cook slowly, stirring all the time until the sugar has dissolved.
- Bring to the boil, and continue boiling until setting point is reached.
- Pour into warm jars and seal.